Tuesday 9 December 2014

Homemade Char Siew


Char Siew is also known as Chinese flavored BBQ pork. The parts that are used to make this dish are the pork loin, the butt (shoulder) or the pork belly. 

I usually ate this whenever I had Chinese chicken rice or wantan noodles from the restaurants or hawker stalls. After almost 6 years of not having this, I think I died and went to the heaven of char siew when I made this and ate it about 2 months ago. HAHA!

The char siew which is sold outside uses chinese wine, fermented red bean curd and some use the Chinese five-spice powder. All which I am unable to eat.

So here is my low-salicylate, gluten-free version.

Ingredients:

1. 1kg of pork belly (skin removed)
2. 1/4 cup of sunflower oil 
3. 1/2 cup of brown sugar
4. Tamari (wheat free soya sauce)
5. Sea-salt
6. *Sesame oil
7. *Grounded black pepper

*Ingredients 6 and 7 are high in salicylates. Omit them if you cannot tolerate them.
The amount of marination ingredients is up to you. Some like it sweet. Some don't. So experiment with the amounts until you are comfortable with the taste and flavour. 

----------------------------------------

1. In a freezer bag, place the washed pork belly inside.

2. Pour all the ingredients onto the pork.

3. Seal the bag and mix all the ingredients until the pork is well coated. 

4. Place in freezer for about 2 weeks.

5. On the day or even the day before, take it out from the freezer and allow it to defrost in the fridge.

6. Line baking tray with baking paper.

7. Preheat over to 220C.

8. Place the well seasoned pork onto baking tray and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until golden brown.

9. Allow to cool before serving.

Bon appétit!

2 comments:

  1. Yum that looks good. I'm not supposed to eat pork either, but I've never really known how to cook it since I never eat it. but that still looks good and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really superb! Am making this again for Christmas.

      Delete